What is Orienteering?
The sport of skilled navigation, orienteering is a timed challenge through unfamiliar terrain to find a series of checkpoints (called controls) and return to the finish.
The only tools you're allowed - a detailed map with the course and controls on it (given to you at the start), a compass, and your brain. The rest is up to you. Usually on foot, but sometimes on skis, snowshoes, or mountain bike, orienteering can be as extreme, or as leisurely, as you like. Learn More!
Try an Event
Getting started in our sport is easy. You can come out to one of our clinics, join one of our training programs, or jump right in and give one of our events a go. All of our events are beginner and family friendly.
Any of the events in the following series
would be excellent ones to start with:
- Spring and Fall Series Join us!
- Sunday morning events in Ottawa's nicest
forests and natural areas.
- Summer Solstice Series Join us!
- Fun Tuesday evening events throughout June.
Accessible greenbelt locations.
- Winter Series Join us!
- Orienteer on skis and snowshoes!
- Orienteering Clinics Join us!
- Get a jump start on our sport!
Find your Program
Want to improve your orienteering? Stay in shape while using your brain? Orienteering Ottawa has programs for orienteers of all ages and abilities.
Here are a few of our most popular programs:
- Learn to Orienteer:
- Instructional Clinics for all ages 5-85 More Details
- Kids Running Free
- Spring and Fall sessions for ages 8-14.
No experience required.
Multiple locations! More Details
- Drop-in Running Training
- Every Wednesday year round.
All ages, all abilities. More Details
- Adult Technique Programs
- Basic Level More Details
- Intermediate Level More Details
- Advanced Level More Details