Basics and Beyond - Perth
** Due to the to the rainfall warning in effect and the already very wet conditions at Conlon Farm Recreation Complex we are delaying the program by 1 week. There will be no program taking place on May 6th. Instead the program will run one week later in June (until June 17th). **
You can register until end of day Friday May 16th.
Basics and Beyond is designed for adults who wish to learn how to orienteer.
This program runs Saturdays from April 6th to June 10th, 2017.
The Basics & Beyond program is a 5 week Saturday morning program (10:30-11:30) for adults that will teach you the basics of orienteering and then move beyond that to guide you through the first skills required to comfortably complete novice and intermediate level orienteering courses. This is a skills course - while there can be a large physical component to orienteering we do not touch on that at all. In other words, you may run, walk, hop, skip... at whichever speed you wish! Over the course of the eight weeks we will go over the following skills and more:
- Basic map reading skills
- Understanding a standard orienteering legend
- Keeping your map oriented using terrain features and your compass
- Route choice and navigation systems
Each Saturday will consist of a combination of instructions from your coach, independent learning, and a chance to practice the new skill at hand.
There are a few things you will need for this program:
- Running shoes
- A good pair of shoes that you can walk or run outdoors in for an hour.
- Weather appropriate clothing for being in the woods
- This is a rain or shine program so dress appropriately.
- A whistle
- A basic precaution for all Orienteering Ottawa events and programs.
- A headlamp (fall only)
- Your headlamp has a light output of at least 60 lumens.
This is a rain or shine program! Only in the event of dangerous conditions arising due to an electrical storm or other extreme weather will practice be canceled.
If we have to cancel a session at the last minute we will contact everyone by e-mail using the information provided with registration. We will contact you by 9:00 am on the day of so if the weather is questionable check your e-mail before heading out.
Times and Location
We will meet at the designated location for a 6:30 start each Tuesday. Please be there promptly as we regularly move away from the start location for our evening's activities and it may be difficult to find us if you are late. Sessions end at 7:30.
Conlon Farm Recreation Complex
We will meet by the main building at the Conlon Farm Recreation Complex. Look for the large Orienteering Ottawa banner.
$80.00 per participant.
- 5 weeks 1 hour program sessions
- 2017 Orienteering Ottawa membership ($20 value)
- All participants will need to fill in and submit an insurance waiver on the first evening.
- If you are already a member of Orienteering Ottawa, a discount of $20 will be applied to your registration fee.