Basics and Beyond - Ottawa Program
Basics and Beyond is designed for adults who wish to learn how to orienteer!
This program runs from Tuesday, September 12th to October 24th, 2017
Our Basics & Beyond program is a 7 week Tuesday evening program (6:30-7:30) for adults that will teach you the basics of orienteering and then move beyond that to guide you through the first skills required to comfortably complete novice and intermediate level orienteering courses. This is a skills course - while there can be a large physical component to orienteering we do not touch on that at all. In other words, you may run, walk, hop, skip... at whichever speed you wish! Over the course of the seven weeks we will go over the following skills and more:
- Basic map reading skills
- Understanding a standard orienteering legend
- Keeping your map oriented using terrain features and your compass
- Route choice and navigation systems
Each evening will consist of a combination of instructions from your coach, independent learning, and a chance to practice the new skill at hand.
There are a few things you will need for this program:
- Running shoes
- A good pair of shoes that you can walk or run outdoors in for an hour.
- Weather appropriate clothing for being in the woods
- This is a rain or shine program so dress appropriately.
- A whistle
- A basic precaution for all Orienteering Ottawa events and programs.
- A headlamp (fall only)
- Your headlamp has a light output of at least 60 lumens.
This is a rain or shine program! Only in the event of dangerous conditions arising due to an electrical storm or other extreme weather will practice be canceled.
If we have to cancel a session at the last minute we will contact everyone by e-mail using the information provided with registration. We will contact you by 4:30 on the day of so if the weather is questionable check your e-mail before heading out.
Times and Location
We will meet at the designated location for a 6:30 start each Tuesday. Please be there promptly as we regularly move away from the start location for our evening's activities and it may be difficult to find us if you are late. Sessions end at 7:30.
Britannia Park - Sept. 12 to Oct. 3
From September 12th to October 3rd we are Britannia Park. We will meet at the long covered picnic shelter in Britannia Park. You can park in the Beach Parking opposite the tennis courts or at the Ron Kolbus Centre parking lot beside the community centre. There are washrooms available in the Ron Kolbus Centre as well as an porta-potty in parking lot.
Nepean Sportsplex - Oct. 10 to Oct. 24
From October 10th to 24th we are at the Nepean Sportsplex. We will meet at the NE corner of the back Nepean Sportsplex parking lot by the trail head (where we typically meet for orienteering events from this location). There are washrooms available in the Sportsplex.
Complementary individual entries to the following events are also included as an optional additional part of the Basics and Beyond program. We will send you an e-mail with further information about these events a week or two before each one.
One of our Sunday morning Fall Series events (location and date to be determined) (see event details for Sunday events)
$120.00 per participant.
- 7 weeks 1 hour program sessions
- 2017 Orienteering Ottawa membership ($20 value)
- Individual entry to one of the Sunday morning Fall Series events (location and date to be determined) ($9 value)
- All participants will need to fill in and submit an insurance waiver on the first evening.
- If you are already a member of Orienteering Ottawa, a discount of $20 will be applied to your registration fee.