Orienteering Ottawa KIDS
Orienteering Ottawa KIDS is our action-packed junior program. This fall's season will be our 11th installment of the program and, as always, we've got loads of fun and exciting running and navigation activities planned. We will be exploring Britannia Park and from the Nepean Sportsplex. Both have a great mix of open spaces and forests - perfect for fun games and challenges!
The fall season will begin Tuesday, September 12th and run for 7 weeks until Tuesday, October 24th. Evening sessions run for one hour between 6:30 and 7:30.
What do I need to bring?
- Running shoes
- Trail running shoes with a good tread are ideal. Please do not come in rubber boots. You will slip all over the place and there is a good chance you will get water over the top of them which then fills up the boot and doesn't drain).
- Long running pants
- We recommend your child wear some sort of full-length athletic pants because we will be running in long grass and in the woods which like to scratch at bare legs.
- Clothes that can get dirty
- Remember to dress ready to run in clothes that are appropriate for the weather. It is likely to vary greatly throughout the season so check the forecast before you leave. We guarantee that you will get to enjoy the mud at least once!
- Water bottle
- There will be a spot you can leave water bottle for the hour so you won't need to carry it with you.
- A basic precaution for all Orienteering Ottawa events and programs.
- Headlamp (fall only)
- Your headlamp should be at least 40 lumens.
- A sense of adventure!
- Do we really need to explain this one?
This is a rain or shine program! Only in the event of dangerous conditions arising due to an electrical storm or other extreme weather will practice be canceled.
If we have to cancel a session at the last minute we will contact everyone by e-mail using the information provided with registration. We will contact you by 4:30 on the day of so if the weather is questionable check your e-mail before heading out.
Times and Location
We will meet at the designated location for a 6:30 start each Tuesday. Please be there promptly as we regularly move away from the start location for our evening's activities and it may be difficult to find us if you are late. Sessions end at 7:30.
Britannia Park - Sept. 12 to Oct. 3
From September 12th to October 3rd we are Britannia Park. We will meet at the long covered picnic shelter in Britannia Park. You can park in the Beach Parking opposite the tennis courts or at the Ron Kolbus Centre parking lot beside the community centre. There are washrooms available in the Ron Kolbus Centre as well as an porta-potty in parking lot.
Nepean Sportsplex - Oct. 10 to Oct. 24
From October 10th to 24th we are at the Nepean Sportsplex. We will meet at the NE corner of the back Nepean Sportsplex parking lot by the trail head (where we typically meet for orienteering events from this location). There are washrooms available in the Sportsplex.
Complementary family pass entries to the following events are also included as an optional additional part of the Orienteering Ottawa KIDS program. We will send you an e-mail with further information about these events a week or two before each one.
Family pass entry to Lac Beauchamp Family Day event on September 17
Family pass entry to one of the Sunday morning Fall Series events (location and date to be determined) (see event details for Sunday events)
Bring a Friend Day
On a specific day during the 7 weeks, we invite you to bring along a friend who you think might enjoy the program. We will be doing all of our most fun activities and want to share that fun with everyone. We ask that each participant bring along no more than a single friend to keep numbers manageable. Thank you for your understanding!
$120.00 per child.
- 7 1 hour program sessions
- 2017 Orienteering Ottawa membership ($10 value)
- Family pass entry to Lac Beauchamp Family Day event on September 17
- Family pass entry to one of the Sunday morning Fall Series events (location and date to be determined) ($32 value)
- All participants will need to fill in and submit an insurance waiver at their first practice.
We are always looking for help coordinating the kids during practice. If you are interested in volunteering and enjoy running (or even if you don't), please join us! You will be able to let us know your volunteer preferences when you register for the program.
We have three roles that we are looking for help with:
- Group coach
- Group coaches are responsible for delivering the material provided in the lesson plan by the program coordinator and works with the group assistants to lead a group of 10-15 kids.
- Group assistant
- Group assistants work with the group coach to make sure everyone in the group is present at all times, marshal kids where needed and keep the program running smoothly. We like to have two group assistants with each group of 10 to 15 kids.
- On site assistant
- On site assistants are responsible for making sure everyone gets checked in and out, keep an eye on equipment at the meeting point and point people in the right direction if they are running a little late.
If you don't feel prepared to help out, but still want to get involved, consider joining our Basics and Beyond program for parents and others new to orienteering. In 7 weeks you'll be brought up to speed while your kids enjoy their own fun-filled program.
Note: All parent volunteers will be asked to fill out a screening disclosure form prior to working with the kids in the program. We will provide this to you prior to the start of the program.